The Bard Meets the Midwest

Our Third Shakespearean Summer in Iowa City...

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My first post EVER!

Hi folks. I’m going to get started here by stating that prior to Leigh coming up with this notion to blog, I had begun what I thought would be a good writing exercise for me. It was inspired by reading (as part of my research for Shrew) a chapter in a book that was a compilation of essays written by actors on the process they went through for a particular role. So, I thought to myself, “why not?” and set out to write an article about how I approached the character of Petruchio. Those who are patient may see it posted in it’s entirety on this very blog.
In the mean time let me tell you that after opening both shows last weekend I turned my attention to a project that I had planned to do here in Iowa City. You see, the guy’s house we stay at when in Iowa has a small but perfectly adequate wood shop in his basement. It occurred to me that I would have some daytime hours at my disposal and we are in desperate need of two bedside tables back home. So Monday morning I went off in search of some white oak. I had done a little scouting in advance and went first to Hills Hardwood at the very eastern end of town. Thinking that a place like this would open at the crack of dawn I showed up at 8:15 but it was closed so I went to the Java House (best coffee in town), got a Steam Boat Bill to-go, and headed back. At 9:00 I walked into an immense warehouse staffed by two. One seemed to be the owner and the other a helper. I declared the species of wood I was interested in and was shown the various locations, each displaying a particular thickness. The thinnest was “four quarter”, otherwise known as one inch, and the thickest was “eight quarter”, you do the math. I bought 5 boards of four quarter, all various widths and lengths, and one 8’ board of eight quarter.
When I went to pay for the wood I reached for a credit card only to be told that they don’t take credit cards. I hemmed and hawed as I had very little cash and no check book with me and was making preparations to leave, get some cash and return. But the owner reached into his desk drawer, removed an envelope, affixed an address label and a STAMP and handed it to me along with my copy of the bill. “Send me a check” he said as he took his copy of the bill and pinned it to the wall next to a couple of dozen other receipts, “that’s my credit card system”. So off I went with $120 worth of white oak on a promise that I would send him a check. You’re not in NYC anymore Toto, welcome to Iowa.
More on the tables later. Pictures to follow.

DF.