Just a sickie...
...looking for something to do that does not require any physical energy. Hence, a new post for the blog! Lucky you!
I slept for two and a half hours after that last post. Then I hopped in the car and drove down to the Festival Stage to catch the end of the 'Shrew' understudy rehearsal. As I imbibed my 'Energy' Vitamin Water (didn't work--what a scam) in the last row of the theater, I watched the understudies stumble through the last few scenes of the show. I was told by a fellow company member that I "missed them in their prime," which I thoroughly believe, as that's how understudy rehearsals tend to go. Not many people start to learn a part from the end of the play and work towards the beginning. So, naturally, the first few scenes are flawless (at least lines-wise), the next few a little rougher, the third quarter even rougher, and then for the last couple of scenes, everyone's just kind of standing around reading from their scripts and not caring all that much if they are Down Right when they're supposed to be Up Center.
I exaggerate slightly for comedic purposes, of course. And actually, my understudy for Katherine (who plays my sister, Bianca) had that monstrously long final speech down pretty well.
Now for a couple of completely out-of-chronological pictures... These are mostly for my dad and brother's sakes. The Riverside Theatre Shakespeare Festival company (that's us) played the Iowa City Summer Rep crew in a game of softball about a week ago--my first return to the diamond since about 1988. Dennis copped out and watched part of the game and then went off and ran his lines for 'Shrew,' which we were to open in a few days. So it was understandable. He has about 4 times as many lines as I do, so he wasn't feeling as leisurely as I was on our day off! Sadly, Summer Rep beat us, but not after a good fight--the final score was something like 17-16.
Hopefully Dennis will soon have time to regale you with all kinds of anecdotes about his current woodworking project. In the meantime, I'll try to get some pictures of him at work.

Here's when I flied out (flew out? popped out? pop-flied-out????) in the first.

Dennis (sporting his summer goatee) watching from the shade. He's with Marc Moritz (from our company), who wasn't playing either, but who did step in as a pinch hitter for us in the 9th and got on base to boot.

They had me playing left field until they realized my bounteous fielding skills and put me at 2nd.... Okay, okay, so they were just running short on people. Still, I made a few outs... =)
I slept for two and a half hours after that last post. Then I hopped in the car and drove down to the Festival Stage to catch the end of the 'Shrew' understudy rehearsal. As I imbibed my 'Energy' Vitamin Water (didn't work--what a scam) in the last row of the theater, I watched the understudies stumble through the last few scenes of the show. I was told by a fellow company member that I "missed them in their prime," which I thoroughly believe, as that's how understudy rehearsals tend to go. Not many people start to learn a part from the end of the play and work towards the beginning. So, naturally, the first few scenes are flawless (at least lines-wise), the next few a little rougher, the third quarter even rougher, and then for the last couple of scenes, everyone's just kind of standing around reading from their scripts and not caring all that much if they are Down Right when they're supposed to be Up Center.
I exaggerate slightly for comedic purposes, of course. And actually, my understudy for Katherine (who plays my sister, Bianca) had that monstrously long final speech down pretty well.
Now for a couple of completely out-of-chronological pictures... These are mostly for my dad and brother's sakes. The Riverside Theatre Shakespeare Festival company (that's us) played the Iowa City Summer Rep crew in a game of softball about a week ago--my first return to the diamond since about 1988. Dennis copped out and watched part of the game and then went off and ran his lines for 'Shrew,' which we were to open in a few days. So it was understandable. He has about 4 times as many lines as I do, so he wasn't feeling as leisurely as I was on our day off! Sadly, Summer Rep beat us, but not after a good fight--the final score was something like 17-16.
Hopefully Dennis will soon have time to regale you with all kinds of anecdotes about his current woodworking project. In the meantime, I'll try to get some pictures of him at work.

Here's when I flied out (flew out? popped out? pop-flied-out????) in the first.

Dennis (sporting his summer goatee) watching from the shade. He's with Marc Moritz (from our company), who wasn't playing either, but who did step in as a pinch hitter for us in the 9th and got on base to boot.

They had me playing left field until they realized my bounteous fielding skills and put me at 2nd.... Okay, okay, so they were just running short on people. Still, I made a few outs... =)

<< Home